WhatsNew for MIME Browser 2.0.0
This file contains the version history for MIME Browser. Please refer to the ReadMe file for general information. Entries link to weblog posts with further details where available.
Version 2.0.0 (released 2019-02-05)
Complete rewrite in Java Swing to avoid dependency on stand-alone JavaFX distribution as of Java SE 11. See announcement for more information.
- Lowered minimum requirement to Java SE 8, but note that Swing only supports high DPI scaling on Java SE 9 and later.
- Updated to JavaMail 1.6.2, and build environment to Java SE 10.0.2.
- Added image viewer for MIME message parts with known image types.
- Show Text: Acts as a toggle, now also between image view and part information.
- Font Selection: Display all font names in their proper typeface and filter out symbol fonts.
- HTML View: Replaced JavaFX
WebView with CSSBox. There are drawbacks as described in the ReadMe file, but CSSBox should overall serve well enough as an HTML viewer for MIME messages.
Version 1.3.5 (released 2017-01-28)
See Moving Projects to Java 9 for more information.
- Updated to Java SE 9.0.4, JavaMail 1.6.0, and JavaBeans Activation Framework 1.2.0 (required by Java 9).
- Changed JavaMail from API-only to full library. This increases download sizes but avoids runtime warnings about missing protocol providers in the API-only library.
- About Dialog: Improved typography (JavaFX renders
Label better than
Text for some reason).
- ReadMe: Added note on local
WebView storage which I had forgotten to document.
- ReadMe: Removed notes on JavaFX issues which appear to be obsolete as of Java SE 9.
- Javadoc: Added package-info.java for the sake of completeness.
- Source: Changed project from NetBeans to IntelliJ IDEA.
- Source: Fixed minor cosmetic issues detected by IntelliJ IDEA.
Version 1.3.4 (released 2016-05-01)
See Diagrammer Fixes & Samples for related project updates.
- Updated to Java SE 8 Update 92 & JavaMail 1.5.5.
- Added project file for Class Diagrammer.
- ReadMe: Added link to recent post on JavaFX startup switches.
- Source: Added startup switches to enable assertions and to force JavaFX software rendering when run from NetBeans.
- Source: Fixed constant naming and several other NetBeans inspector complaints.
Version 1.3.3 (released 2015-10-30)
- Updated to Java SE 8 Update 66 & JavaMail 1.5.4.
- Removed manual DPI scaling which is unnecessary as of Java SE 8u60.
- Slightly widened columns Modified & Size to accommodate Windows at 120 DPI (125%).
- Fixed sorting message list by column Name producing random results.
- Text View: Fixed custom font or zoom resetting whenever the other changes.
- Replaced anonymous classes for event handling with lambda expressions.
Version 1.3.2 (released 2015-03-13)
- Updated to Java SE 8 Update 40 & JavaMail 1.5.2.
- Replaced classes MessageDialog & Symbol with new Alert dialogs.
- Changed internal date & time representation to new java.time API.
- Changed MIME envelope fields from multi-line TextArea to editable single-line TextField. See Known Issues for details.
Version 1.3.1 (released 2014-04-14)
Attempted to fix obscure but serious bug reported here.
- Drag & drop operations could change the dragged file’s modification date on disk to the current date.
- Acceptable drag & drop operations included copying, moving, and linking. I accepted them all because I only used the file path for reading anyway. JavaFX in practice defaulted all operations to moving. Conceivably this default may have caused the bug, although I could not verify this.
- Nevertheless, I now only accept copy operations which should never affect the original file. So far this works just as well, and has not erroneously changed file dates. Let me know if the bug reappears.
Version 1.3.0 (released 2014-03-21)
Announcement with further details.
- Updated to Java SE 8 with JavaFX 8 and the new Modena theme.
- Fixed day of month in directory view starting at zero rather than one.
- HTML View: Zoom now changes entire page size, not just text. (JavaFX 8 fix)
- HTML View: Scrollbar width now scales correctly at high DPI. (JavaFX 8 fix)
- Javadoc: Currently no UML diagrams because yWorks UML Doclet breaks in Java SE 8.
Version 1.2.1 (released 2014-01-18)
Only cosmetic changes without functional effects.
- Fixed cut-off label for X-Mailer envelope field.
- Minor improvements to error message dialog and internal icon management.
- Added class Symbol to retrieve icon glyphs from embedded Font Awesome.
- ReadMe: Known WebView issues (scroll bar, text zoom) will be fixed in Java 8.
- Updated build environment to Java SE 7u51.
Version 1.2.0 (released 2013-12-10)
Announcement with further details.
- Command-line argument may specify initial document as well as directory.
- Support drag & drop of documents & folders on application window.
- Added About dialog, shown by new info button or keyboard shortcut F1.
- Added Save All button that saves all message parts to a selected folder.
- Automatically expand search text field with application window.
- MIME envelope fields allow text selection and multiple lines with scrolling.
- Added tool tip notification when platform-specific actions are unsupported.
- Added window icon to error message dialog (which you’ll hopefully never see).
- Slightly increased control spacing overall, but reduced spacing between path components.
- Slightly increased initial & minimum window size to accommodate other changes.
- Added style sheet project.css for prettier ReadMe & WhatsNew formatting.
Fixes to existing features:
- Disabled Save button & document path hyperlink if no document is shown.
- Save dialog now defaults to file name of selected message or attachment.
- Save should use correct extension (
.txt/.html) for non-attachment parts.
- Fixed tool tip for keyboard shortcut to parent directory (Alt+Backspace).
- Fixed occasionally wrong initial column widths in list of directory contents.
- Fixed possible case mismatch when checking for user-defined file extensions.
Source code changes without functional effects:
- Updated build environment to Java SE 7u45 and NetBeans 7.4.
- Updated distribution to Font Awesome 4.0.3 and JavaMail 1.5.1.
- Added JAR manifest information via NetBeans project properties.
- Changed Java package name to org.kynosarges.mimebrowser.
- Added class DesktopAction to encapsulate AWT
- Added enumeration IconControl for controls with Font Awesome icons.
- Many small tweaks and fixes throughout the source code.
- Javadoc: Added UML diagrams generated by yWorks UML Doclet.
Version 1.1.1 (released 2013-09-11)
Only source code changes without functional effects.
- Changed NetBeans project settings to enable all warnings (-Xlint).
- DirEntryView & SelectionWalker: Suppressed “rawtypes” warnings as needed.
- Global: Fixed several incomplete or outdated Javadoc comments.
Version 1.1.0 (released 2013-08-05)
Announcement with further details.
- Added list controls to combine subdirectories, and to filter entries by search terms.
- Automatically shrink & expand “Name” column with application window.
- Added custom application icon, once again provided by Font Awesome.
- Changed keyboard shortcut for parent directory to Alt+Backspace, as Backspace alone is now used by the search text field.
- Changed zoom range to 25–200% in 25% steps, and added display for current zoom level.
- Changed plain text display from
Text block to read-only
TextArea. This lets you select & copy text to the clipboard, same as in the HTML view.
- Fixed keyboard shortcut for Refresh (should be F5, was Ctrl+F5).
Version 1.0.0 (released 2013-07-24)
Initial release. Announcement with further details.